University of Florida Homepage

Catching up with GSWS Alums

Summer Cisneros photo of Summer Cisneros

Class of 2020
BA Women’s Studies, cum laude

Since 2018, I have worked for Planned Parenthood of South, East and North Florida. I am current­ly the Community Health Educator in Alachua County, where I teach comprehensive and inclusive sexual health and personal growth topics at various schools and organizations. I am honored to say I also guest speak at UF!

The education I received in the Women’s Studies department has assisted me in my role as I educate young folks about topics such as reproductive justice, gender identity & sexual orientation, and everyone’s right to have bodily autonomy. I utilize resources that I obtained in classes such as Sexualities Studies and Interdisciplinary Perspectives in Women’s Studies to take an inclusive approach to the curriculum, create a safe environment for all individuals, and give folks information to make healthy decisions for themselves.

I am proud to have received a superior education in the Women’s Studies department that continues to benefit me in my career and my continued academic studies as I pursue an MA in Career and Workforce Education at UCF, with a focus on enhancing education and job opportunities for nontraditional students and underserved communities.

Lecsy Gonzalez photo of Lecsy Gonzalez

Class of 2021
BS Psychology – Behavioral and Cognitive Neuroscience,
BA Women’s Studies, cum laude

Taking WST2611 with Dr. Kelley during my first semester at UF was the deciding factor in pursu­ing a women’s studies degree. I don’t know if I would have had my academic career without her, and I went on to take all of her courses.

My women’s studies degree was and continues to be instrumental in my research. My love for qualitative research grew during my classes, and Dr. Anantharam introduced me to many theories and philosophers. Dr. Coy also cultured my interest in evidence-based treatment and interven tions. It is the knowledge that I gained during these classes, and my experiences as a queer Latina, that have motivated me and made me feel capable of pursuing higher education.

After completing my undergraduate studies in 2021, I pursued a Master of Public Health at Cornell University. There I had the opportunity to collaborate with Johns Hopkins on a project educating Latinx parents on adolescent suicide. I also interned with the Health Equity Research Lab, where I have been working on projects regarding immigrant access to health care.

I am about to start my Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology at the University of Florida! Go Gators!

Heather Starratt photo of Heather Starratt

Class of 2017
BA Women’s Studies, cum laude

My studies have led me directly to one of the loves of my life, reproductive care. I am currently a manager at Bread and Roses Women’s Health Center (Gainesville’s independent abortion clinic). I completed an internship at the clinic through my Gender, Sexualities, and Women’s Studies B.A. in 2017 as a Patient Advocate. I continued employment, and was later promoted. I now manage the advocacy team and lead clinic protocols. In short, my education has served as a backdrop for facing the real-life complexities of reproductive injustices, and how an intersectional lens will *always* help us all understand and care for our community, especially women of color.

Our clinic offers internships nearly every semester, so I have the privilege of getting to know and working alongside current Gender & Women’s Studies undergrads who often bring refreshing perspectives to patient care. Consistently working with these brilliant young interns is a lovely reminder of the path that led me to this work.