Health Disparities in Society Courses, Spring 2018
Want to enroll in WST 4941C, Practicum in Health Disparities, for Spring 2018?
If so, you MUST have attended the orientation meeting on Friday, October 27th, 7:30-8:15 a.m. in Florida Gym 280.
NOTE: Please consult with the Women’s Studies undergraduate coordinator if there is a question about a particular course or your track in this minor. Click on this link to view the requirements of this minor. Please note that course offerings are subject to change. Some courses for the minor may be limited to students within the department or major that offers them or may have mandatory prerequisites. If these constraints prevent you from enrolling in a course, please contact the instructor of that course to discuss options for your enrollment.
Please remember that you may only have 2 courses in the minor at the 2000-level, and one of those must be WST 2322, Introduction to Health Disparities.
Other courses may be considered for Health Disparities in Society credit via petition.
Tier I: Health or Social Science of Minority/Cultural Groups in the U.S.
- ANT 4462 Culture and Medicine
- GEO 3454 People and Plagues
- HSC 4558 Survey of Diseases and Disabilities 2
- LAS 4935 US Latina/os in Contemporary Society
|Note: Students outside of the College of Public Health cannot register directly for Public Health classes. Instead, you must email PHHP Academic Advisor Ms. Dominic Walker and ask to be enrolled. State that you are a Health Disparities minor, and give your UF ID number and the name and course number for which you wish to be enrolled. Enrollment is strictly on a space available basis.
- PHC 4101 Public Health Concepts
- PCO 4930 LGBT Psychology
- SPN 3520 Culture and Civilization of Spanish America
- SYA 4930 Mental Health and Illnesses
- SYD 4808 Reproduction and Gender
|Note: There are two sections of Medical Sociology. The one that is listed as “Department Controlled” is restricted to post-bac students only. All other students must enroll in section 1G53. Medical Sociology is a very popular course. If section 1G53 is full, you will need to monitor it online to see if someone drops in order to get a spot.
- SYO 4400 Medical Sociology
- SYD 3700 Minorities in American Society
|Note: Students outside of the College of Health and Human Performance cannot register directly for Health Education and Behavior classes. Instead, you must email HHP Academic Advisor Ms. Brittany Schambow and ask to be enrolled. State that you are enrolled in the HDS minor and tell her your UF ID number and the course number for which you wish to be enrolled
- HSC 4623 Minority Health Issues
- WST 3930 Women’s Health and Wellbeing
- WST 3930 Women and Therapy
Tier II: Social Inequality and Related Theory
- AFA 3332 Black Feminist and Womanist Theory
- AFA 3930 Black Power Movement
- AFA 4136 Theories of Black America
- AMH 4575 Civil Rights Movements
- ANT 4006 Human Rights and Culture
- ENG 4844 Queer Theory
- LIT 4233 Postcolonial Theory
- POS 4624 Race, Law, and the Constitution
- SYA 4930 Race, Class, and Family
- SYO 4530 Social Inequality
- WST 3015 Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Women
- WST 3940 Gender, Race, Sex, and Media
Tier III: International or Global Studies
- ABT 3500 Arabic Culture
- AML 3673 Asian African American Studies
- ANT 3364 People and Culture of China
- ANT 3930 Modern Shamanism
- ANT 4213 Global Humankind
- ASH 3931 Islam Modern World
- EUH 3033 History of the Holocaust
- EUH 3931 Russia and the World
- HAT 3564 Haitian Culture and Society
- ITA 3564 Contemporary Italian Culture
- LASH 3300 Contemporary Latin America
- LAH 3931 Cuban Revolution
- LAS 4935 Latino Culture
- LAS 4935 Women in Latin America
- LIT 3383 African Women Writers
- POR 3502 Brazilian Culture
- REL 3938 Taoism and Chinese Culture
- REL 4361/WST 3930 Women and Islam
- REL 4936 Global Islam
- REP 3938 Islam in Europe
- SYA 4930 Israelis and Palestinians
- WST 3415 Transnational Feminism
- WST 3930 Masculinity in Israeli Culture
- WST 3930 Violence Against Women